Thursday, September 25, 2008

Warm Water from 6:30 to 7:30? Excellent!!






Well, we are in Darjeeling, and like Jer mentioned, it is wonderful. The climate here is so much like back home that it's kinda funny. I have been able to wear my jeans and a long sleeve shirt- what a nice respite from the 100 degree 100% humidity weather of Kolkata. Yesterday and today we spent most of our time walking around the town and doing a bit of shopping. I decided it was time for me to go local and I got Shalwar Suit fabric, which I will take to a tailor tomorrow. Basically it's like a sari with pants- much better for walking with a giant backpack. Most of the clothing here is very colorful, so I went with a bright pink color with embroidered gold stars to help me fit in. :) We also visited the Zoo and Himalayan Mountaineering Institute. The Zoo wasn't as bad as I thought it might be- the animals were in large natural enclosures, however the fences seemed a little bit too close for comfort in the tiger enclosure... We went up to the top of Observation Hill, where if the weather is good you have a great view of the mountains and surrounding hillside. In our case, however, the weather was very cloudy and misty, so we had a great view of the ground 20 feet in front of us. Nevertheless, it was a great spot, absolutely COVERED in Tibetan prayer flags and shrines, and with the mist the whole thing seemed very surreal.
-Kathleen

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I hope you all are taking pictures!!!

Unknown said...

Kathleen! I bet you look beautiful!!

Aunt Janet said...

Enjoy and miss you.. Love Ya Aunt Janet