Monday, September 22, 2008

From the Front Lines- Kathleen



Hello Everybody and welcome to our travel blog! Jeremiah and I are on Day 3 of our trip and doing well. I spent my first day on my own in Hong Kong, where I rode a tram up a mountain, ate some Hong Kong fast food (where I was the only foreign person there) and rode a ferry from Hong Kong island to Kowloon. The flights weren't too bad, and the food was even tasty. Now we are in Kolkata, India, about to head to Darjeeling by night train. India has been a bit overwhelmin so far, very busy and crowded and different. I was "attacked" by small street children, who, as far as I could tell, just wanted to steal by cold water bottle. We had quite the time setting up the mosquito net in our super cheap hotel, and so far our travel sheets and fleece blanket have come in handy (not because of the cold, because it is blistering hot here, but just for comfort and bug protecting). The traffic here is crazy, I think the biggest danger isn't getting sick from stange food, its from crossing the street. I had to immediatly buy a long skirt when I got here, jeans were just too hot and don't really fit in well with local customs. Darjeeling should be a welcome change, up by the mountains it will be cooler (but a little bit more rainy). Anyhoo, I hope that everyone is doing well, and I will try to post again soon!
-Kathleen

2 comments:

Natalie Rose said...

I miss you guys but it sounds like you are getting right in the thick of your adventures! I'm definitely jealous. Thanks for blogging though, I can live vicariously through it! Nat

Juliette said...

Awesomeness! I'm so jealous right now! I'll email you more after this week (boo midterms) but at the Taj getting a guide is definitely worth it. Make sure to get an official one (they have government ID). We paid 200 per person and it feels like it was worth so much more.

Have fun, be safe, can't wait to read the next posts, and bringing a travel blanket was a really great idea :) (cus usually if the "hotels" have blankets they are icky).