Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Darjeeling Express - Jeremiah



Well, it was actually the Darjeeling Mail train that took us from Kolkata to Darjeeling but it was as every bit entertaining. Train tickets were scarce so we had to take the sleeper class train, but this turned out to be a pretty good experience. We heard some bad things about sleeper class but I thought it was great. It was super cheap and Eunichs come down the train every so often singing and asking for money. Also, at every train station - even if it's 3am - a guy boards the train and goes down the aisle calling out Chai! Chai! Chai!. It can distrupt your sleep.

But we made it to New Jaipalguri on the train. Then we had to do some major hassling to get on a jeep up to Darjeeling but we finally made it for a reasonable price. I really can't complain about paying 90 rupees for a 4 hour Jeep ride!

Kat and I plan to spend a few days in this wonderful city. I finally found an adapter for my camera's battery so I'll be getting some photos up soon. I also just wanted to add that Kat and I found the most wondeful hotel. We're paying 300 rupees for a room with it's own bathroom. It's super clean and there's a nice restraunt on the top floor that serves - what else - darjeeling tea! I bought some sweets that West Bengal is known for tonight to have with my tea.

1 comment:

Anna said...

OH YUM YOU GUYS! Bring home some tea!

keep us posted on your adventures!
Love!