Thursday, October 16, 2008

The Temples of Dhoom!

We didn't actually visit the temple of doom but I see the word Dhoom used a lot here. For example, just about every city has a Hotel Dhoom. Not too appealing is it? Anyways, since the last post Kat and I made our way from Mumbai to Aurangabad. Aurangabad is a nice city on the smaller side. We found a great hotel near the train station. The main attraction of this area is the Ellora and Adjunta caves. They're two seperate sights that house the largest monolithic structures in the world. Basically they're huge temples that are cut directly out of the mountain - and they are damn impressive! We spend a day at each site and I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Then we caught yet another overnight train back to Mumbai. We visited Elephanta Island which is another sight of temple/caves. The only problem is that we had just done that for two days alraedy so we were pretty burned out on caves. But the boat ride out to the island was great! I guess I can say I've sailed the Arabian Sea now, but I don't know if that's one of the seven seas or not.

I have a friend from work (Dev) who lives in Mumbai that was kind enough to put Kat and I up for the night. He was in incredible host! Thanks Dev! We spent some time walking around his neighborhood and visited Juhu Beach at sunset for some great dinner. It is a very nice beach and the food we had was excellent.

Kat and I caught a flight from Mumbai last night and now we're in Bangkok. I should have known better but we flew Air India. Talk about a crappy airline! Our flight left over 2 hours late and they kept switching the gate number of the board. So an entire airplane of people, actually only half an airplane because it was only half full, was in complete confusion. And the ass that worked the check-in counter was not any help to everyone. It's no wonder that Air India couldn't fill their plane. But the food was actually pretty good. I'd definetly say better than what's served on the US flights.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

The Arabian Sea is indeed one of the Seven Seas, since it is part of the Indian Ocean. Yarr!