Friday, October 10, 2008

A colorful few days...



After our amazing stay in Jaislmer Kat and I boarded yet another train to Jodphur. Since we only had the day in this city we stowed our bags near the train station and headed out to explore this city. Our expectations were low, after all this was just a train stop on the way to Mumbai, but we were quickly corrected. Jodphur houses a giant fort and palace on a rocky hilltop above the modern city. We tuk-tuked up to the top and took an audio tour of the fort. It followed the Rajastani style in that it was extravagant, elegant, but also bold. The walls were tall and thick but the interior buildings held many couryards full of ornate sandstone carvings. I have some great pictures to upload later!

The other highlight of this day, well maybe more for me than Kat, was the Omelet Man! Just outside the bazaar is a stand that sells omelets and toast. It's really just an egg sandwich but after almost 3 weeks of curry it was a life saver! I walked up to his stand and he immediatly pulled out 2 buckets for kat and I to sit on while he told us that he splits 6,000 eggs a day! His food was delicious and he sold a local cola called Black Horse that only cost 5 rupees (10 cents!!!). Great tasting food for cheap is pretty much my favorite thing in life so this was an amazing experience for me! But I'm sure Kat will be rolling her eyes when she reads this...

After Jodhpur Kat and I took another train to Mumbai. What an expensive city! I guess I should have expected this but it still hurts the budget. But it's also a very western city by Indian standards, which is a great change for Kat and I. It means that she doesn't get lewd stares as often, she can wear a skirt, and we can hold hands in public! These may sound like small things but it definitely raises our comfort.

Last night Kat and I had a very unique experience. We made our way to Chowpatty Beach to watch the burning of a statue. The beach was packed with viewers and there was a stage set up that was acting our some scene involving Hindu gods. Anyways, we were walking home from dinner afterwards very near the Gate of India and we heard music. Upon closer inspection we saw a pier that was housing what we thought was a wedding. We walked up to the well guarded gate just to ask what was going on inside but they quickly ushered us in without explanation - we thought we were about to crash a wedding! But it turns out it was a dance party to celebrate the last day the 9 day festival of navratri! It was a very wholesome dance party where everyone in the family dances. There was dancing in circles and a dance that involves sticks. The people were so accepting they basically forced Kat, myself, and a German couple we met to dance. They taught us how to do it and we had SUCH a great time with them! They were so friendly and accepting and I think they loved that Kat and I enjoyed their festival so much.

1 comment:

tsage said...

I've done that with Pat in India also! It is a great experience! What do you think? Can we create our own party scene like it when you guys come back to the states? Maybe start a new trend here?!
Tami- Pat Patel's wife :)