Thursday, March 19, 2009

Catching Up, Part 3: The Blue Mountains

My last embark took me well out of Sydney into the Blue Mountains. I took a train to Katoomba with only part of a plan. After talking with a local outdoor equipment shop I found a new plan: the six-foot track (or 6^T as it is sometimes shortened to). It is typically a three day excursion that follows a historic horse track to the Jenoleon Caves. But there was one catch: I needed to be back in Sydney for some dinner plans. If I wanted to do the track I would have to make it to the Jenoleon Caves by 3:45pm the next day to catch the last bus back to Katoomba. But after being in the city for weeks I was desperate to punish my legs a bit and give it a go.

The trail starts near Katoomba and descends through a gap in the cliffs down to Nelly's Glen. At this point the vegetation is incredibly lush and thick, watered by the many waterfalls coming down the cliffs. As I walked further the trail changed to pastoral pastureland, dry forests, lush river valleys, and sparse and dry hilltops. This was a great way to see the varied landscape of the blue mountains and the many great Eucalypts and animals that live among them.

The animals I encountered were just as varied as the landscape. Since I was alone I made little noise which allowed me to catch a glimpse of the more shore animals. I saw Eastern Grey Kangaroos, Wallabies, a Trap-Door Spider, a Red-Bellied Black Snake, a giant bee nest, Lace Monitors, hordes of other lizards, Galah Cockatoos, many Lorikeets, Sulfur Crested Cockatoos, Kookaburras, a strange green leech (not attached to me, thankfully), and many other birds and insects that I can't begin to identify (or photograph for that matter!). If you've never heard a Kookaburra click here to hear one!

After I turned out the lights the forest really came to life. The kangaroos I had disturbed when I came to camp returned for water, opossums and/or gliders started rustling through the trees, and kookaburras bantered back and forth. Falling asleep to the thumping hops of roo's in the brush and the amazing calls of the kookaburras made me instantly recognize: "god damn you're in Australia Jeremiah!"

I made it to the Jenoleon Caves with time to spare and sore but satisfied legs. I had finally made it to the outback, seen more animals than I had hoped for, and made it back to Sydney in time for some fantastic Thai food. The pictures here can speak far better for what I've seen!

No comments: